Friday, March 27, 2015

deciding against the age-related funk

I never imagined that at this point in my life I'd still be in decision-making mode. As a kid and young adult, I figured that by the time I got here I'd have my home, my career, my life in order. Turns out those ideas just weren't realistic. So here I am, searching out different paths, trying new things and reinventing my life, but now with the realization that I don't have all the time in the world. This is a misconception that we all buy into when we're young. How lovely an idea though: to be able to create one's own life. I get to decide which trail I'm taking or even if I'm going to blaze a brand new one for myself. I get to follow my intuition, pay better attention to my own desires and if along the way I decide to switch paths because something doesn't make sense then I'll give myself permission to do that. I don't have to climb someone else's ladder or work to earn someone else's job title. There's no more "keeping up" with the Joneses. There's just too much else to focus on. I have no idea where I'm going to land in this adventure, and there sure are a lot of unknowns and pitfalls, but what I do know is that the passionate leap is always worth taking. I have now lived more years than my grandfather was given. I've surpassed the age where my father was diagnosed with his first cancer. I can either let those facts drag me into an age-related funk or I can use those milestones to energize me to make inspiring decisions about how I'm spending my time. I wish I'd figured this out a long time ago. It's a lesson we need to teach to those young people that will listen. Our time is precious. We must use it well.

No comments: