Friday, April 19, 2013

no positive action is too small

What a week it’s been for us all. Lives have been changed forever because of someone’s sick actions in Boston. I’m appalled that the press published some of the gruesome photos that were put out there, proving again that they are lacking a human filter or any kind of true empathy.  And shame on the US Senate for failing all of us on gun safety reform, following on the heels of some dubious governmental decisions directly affecting the health of our country’s food systems.  

It seems that more and more, we are being faced with challenges as corporate and personal greed rear their ugly heads, ethical/spiritual/religious beliefs collide, and social/economic issues scream louder for our attention. It would be easy to live in fear, blame and doubt, but instead, let’s refuse to give in to that darkness. Let’s focus our attention and energies on what we can do to raise the level of awareness in our communities, to bring about peaceful, cooperative changes and do whatever we can do to encourage responsible, compassionate actions within ourselves, our families and the world around us. No positive action is too small.

What am I going to do? I’m saying thanks to the first responders in Boston and to the runners and volunteers who leapt into action because help was needed. I’m going to be a friend to someone that has been sucked into the fear.  I’m going to point out the goodness and beauty in the world whenever I can.  I’m going to look for little random acts of kindness. I’m going to continue to bring/support art and music in my community. I’m going to support local businesses and farmer’s markets. I’m going to support like-minded people and activities. And I’m going to continue to be a compassionate, empathetic advocate, despite the roadblocks thrown my way. What are you going to do?  peace

No comments: