Friday, October 11, 2013

the gift of a dance

These days, I’m dealing with continuing back pain. I’m not complaining exactly, because I’m SO much better than I was a month ago, but after 2+ months it’s kind of become a fact of life and finding a way to get comfortable is a constant. But I’m not letting it stop me, I’m just finding new ways to move through my day and distraction is a great coping mechanism. So on Sunday morning we headed out to listen to a group playing some fun gypsy-jazz and of course, I had my camera along with me. The interplay between the instruments was awesome. Looking around me I saw toes tapping and heads bobbing along with the music. Then a cute couple couldn’t contain themselves any longer and got up to dance. They spun, twirled and dipped with huge smiles on their faces, having the most wonderful time. I grabbed my camera and started shooting and as I turned to look at the crowd relaxing around me I noticed the smiles on their faces as they were watching this couple become entwined with the music. And it got me thinking…
 …everyone’s morning improved that day. The band, the on-lookers, the small kids that recognized that they’d been given permission to break free and dance too, and me with my camera, and all because this young couple broke loose in the moment. They got everyone smiling and increased the joy of the moment. The young dancers made the lawn an even happier place that morning.
So wouldn’t it be great if we decided to make a positive impact like that on someone this week? Decide to do something that might give people a smile and maybe distract them from whatever problems they are facing.  Do something, even if it’s a small something and even if it’s not directed at anyone in particular. Do something without the expectation of reciprocation. Your small kindness is liable to have a big impact, to ease a pain, to evoke a smile.  

5 comments:

S. Etole said...

What fun photos and a happy thought.

JaneA said...

Thanks for the inspiration! I think my goal for next week is going to be to make someone happy. Lovely photos! X Jane http://janeheinrichs.blogspot.com

eileeninmd said...

Lovely photos, looks like a fun time! Have a happy weekend!

Nancy said...

I can't think of a better suggestion you could give us....It looked like a really fun day...
Thanks for visiting and the sweet comment....

Tracy Altieri said...

Pay it forward!