Tuesday, August 20, 2013

on amazing connections

A week ago Saturday I felt a warning twinge when I stood from my chair at the end of a radio show. Looking back I should have put all the clues together and taken some precautions, but by Wednesday morning I was flat on my back and have been pretty much prone ever since. Seriously, I had no idea just how many things you can’t do when your back takes you out of commission…like point your toes, look down at your laptop screen, lift even the lightest item, the list goes on and heaven forbid you have to sneeze!

Now, I’ve always felt great love for my dog and cats and figured, based on how they like to hang around with me, that maybe they kind of liked me too. Never would I have guessed though, just how connected we are until Wednesday morning when my body decided that I wasn’t allowed to move any longer and my back muscles went into spasm. Somehow, on the verge of passing out, I found my phone, got myself to the den and half on/half off the couch, I was able to call Dave at work for help. I just couldn’t move. Eyes shut, trying to catch my breath and hanging on until Dave could get to me, I was suddenly aware that all three animals were right there with me. My dog was continuously licking my arm, one cat head-bumping my leg and making tiny noises and my other cat nuzzling my face and licking away my tears. I’ve pretty much remained on the couch since then and my cats are doing some tag-team comforting. One or the other is smashed up against me at all times and when I shuffle into another room for more advil or another ice pack, my furry companions walk with me.

Happily, this morning – almost a week later, I'm feeling some relief and can do a little bit on the laptop, heating pad behind me and cat by my side. Not exactly sure what the lesson here is except 1) never again will I make fun of the “help I’ve fallen and I can’t get up” commercial, 2) I have to pay better attention to warning signs and twinges and take steps right away to take care rather than pushing myself and 3) never again underestimate the extraordinary connection I have with my animals. If people thought I was spoiling them before – just wait! As soon as I can move more freely again they’re in for some crazy pampering and some extra smelly snacks!

       

7 comments:

Tracy Altieri said...

Many years ago my back began to cramp up while sitting in a movie theater. Sitting in a movie theater!! Up untitl that point, I confess that I just didn't "get" back pain. "What do you mean your back hurts?" Wow, did I get a quick lesson in what back pain can mean as I went on to experience several weeks of pain the likes of which I had never experienced before.

We have been petless for two years now, and agreed to remain that way as retirement has brought us quite a bit of travel. We are however, cat-sitting my son's cat at the moment, and remembering all of the wonderful things that having a pet can bring.

Hope you are back on your feet soon!

shayndel said...

What sweethearts !
And quite a happening, so glad you are feeling better!
Lucky to be surrounded by all that love,
o-dai-ji-ni (Japanese expression for take care ),wishing you a speedy recovery and that your back is feeling strong soon!

Susan said...

Oh my how painful for you. Back spasms are the worst! I'm so glad you were able to call your husband and I am so glad your furry friends took care of you. Isn't it amazing when something like this happens, it brings to mind the thing we take for granted. I hope you will feel 100% soon! Bless your animals!

S. Etole said...

Our pets can be so perceptive. They are beautiful cats. Hope you are recovering well.

Live and Learn said...

We have four cats and there is a mutual comforting society. You pet me and I'll sit on your lap and purr. A win-win situation. Also, I'm sorry to say that I can relate to your back pain. It's no fun.

Anonymous said...

oh, I'm so sorry to read this Bev, and hope you're well now! back problems are terribly debilitating and painful - try to do some stretching each day!

Anonymous said...

oh, I'm so sorry to read this Bev, and hope you're well now! back problems are terribly debilitating and painful - try to do some stretching each day!