Wednesday, July 17, 2013

now, voyager

I think I just might have just found my favorite Bette Davis film. Now, Voyager is a story of a completely repressed woman, born into a very wealthy Boston family, struggling under the weight of her mother’s domination. Every aspect of this young woman’s life is controlled by the watchful eye and heavy manipulation of a mother whose main goal is to keep her daughter tied to her in order to keep her in the role of dutiful daughter. Watching Bette transform into a secure, independent, strong woman is remarkable, not only for the storyline but because Bette’s acting is so amazing. Her expressive eyes and physical transformation completely draw you into her struggle and subsequent personal growth. You see her fight through emotional boundaries, some really tough decisions, deal with the doubts she has about whether she’s doing the right thing and eventually, bloom into her own individuality and womanhood. I really like that the story doesn’t resolve into a perfectly pretty package, but ends with the Charlotte character creating a great, albeit unconventional (for the times) life for herself. Released in 1942 and also starring Claude Reins and Paul Heinreid, both of whom also starred together in Casablanca. My favorite quote from the movie? “Don’t ask for the moon when we have the stars.” Now, Voyager needs to be on your radar, so put this in your Netflix queue or keep your eyes on TCM and catch it during the next showing. You’ll be glad you did. (As a personal aside, my in-laws once stayed at their favorite B&B in New Hampshire during a week when a much older Bette Davis was also staying there. Turns out it was her favorite get-a-way as well….but that’s a story for another time.)
photo via allmovie.com

3 comments:

Debbie said...

love bette, love these old movies!!

Tracy Altieri said...

It has been many years since I have watched this flick. I think that I need to revisit it!

Elizabeth said...

I don't think I've seen this one. We have been watching older movies on the computer as there is absolutely nothing on tv in the summer. It was very funny to watch Gidget Goes Hawaiian with my teenage daughter last night (prone in the heat) and see her reaction. The fashions, so good and so bad! The story, well, time didn't make the heart grow fonder! It was as hokey as I remembered. A real eye-opener for an 18 year old.